Breathing Training for Adults with Sleep Apnea
The purpose of this study is to look at the effects of a novel breathing training on sleep, breathing, and blood pressure.
- Pre-training assessment and overnight sleep study.
- 5-10 min each day breathing training at home using the POWERbreathe® device.
- Once weekly laboratory visit.
- Post-training assessment and overnight sleep study.
Pre-and post-assessments include blood pressure measurement, body weight, neck circumference, cardiorespiratory monitoring, blood draw and sleep surveys.
Participants will be in the study for approximately 7 weeks with the following time commitments:
- 5 hours for assessment measures (2.5 hours pre-training and 2.5 hours post-training, spread over multiple days).
- Two overnight sleep studies.
- 1 hour per week for lab visit.
Basic eligibility criteria:
Please contact the study coordinator for additional eligibility information.
- Age 30-80 years
- Moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea (AHI > 15)
- Neck circumference > 16 cm
- Failure to commit to the study
- Body mass index (BMI) > 40kg/m2
- Implanted pacemaker
- On anticoagulant medication
- On hypnotic medication
- On immunosuppressive medication
- Acute or recent (3 months prior to study) infection
- History of hypothyroidism
- History of stroke or neuromuscular disease
- Moderate to severe heart failure
- Severe ischemic heart disease
- Severe obstructive and restrictive lung disease
- Cor pulmonale
- Cognitive disorders
- Obstructive nasal disease or history of spontaneous pneumothorax or rib fracture
- History of neurological, respiratory, head /neck, or thoracic surgery
Study participants will be reimbursed for their time.
If you are interested to participate in our study please follow the link below and complete the form:
Primary disease category: Sleep Disorders
Sponsor: American Heart Association
Projected enrollment dates: December 2015 to December 2017
Official study title: Breathing Training for Adults with Sleep Apnea